Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Friday, July 20, 2018

Funky Bird Mixed-Media Sculpture

Funky Bird Mixed-Media Sculpture by Bea Grob

Today, I show how I made a funky bird with some driftwood, foil, wire and Makin's Clay®.

Materials:

Makin's Clay® - Red 60g, plus approximately 20g scrap clay from other projects
Makin's Professional® 
  • Ultimate Clay Machine®
  • Cutting Mat

Makin's® Clay Roller
Decorative foils 
Wire
Driftwood
Seed beads 
Black rond head pins
Tacky glue 
Ruler
Cutter 
Dowel 

Instructions:


I started by forming a head with red clay. I inserted some wire for the neck to connect to the driftwood and 3 pieces at the top for later embellishment.

 I let it air dry on these flower foams. Anything you can stick in the wire will work.






Next, I mixed the leftovers with the remaining red and ran it through the Makin's Professional® Ultimate Clay Machine® beginning on setting #1 and ending on setting #5. But you can also roll them out with the clay roller to about 3 mm thickness.

I sprayed the surface of the clay sheet lightly with water and then placed my foil on top. With an old gift card or keycard I rubbed the surface and made sure that it is well adhered.



While the clay was still fresh,  I cut triangular shapes, like you would to make rolled paper beads.  I used the same technique to create the clay beads.

I simply rolled them onto a sort of a dowel. I recommend either plastic (like mine) or metal. If you use wood it may permanently adhere. I let them dry overnight together with the bird head.

 

The next day I started assembling the pieces clay pieces and used seed beads for embellishing. I drilled holes into the wood to attach the head and the tail wires. For the eyes, I used some black pins from the sewing department. I clipped them in length and then simply stuck them in the right spot. 



To glue everything together I used tacky glue. I have also mounted the bird on a piece of stone from the garden. I used a two part quick dry epoxy glue for that. 



No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *