Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 11, 2017

Driftwood Flowers

Driftwood Flowers by Bea Grob
For this months project, I grew some rare species of Driftwood flowers. ;-)
Ok, I did make them, really easily with Makin's Clay® and some wire, acrylic paint and driftwood.

Supplies:

Makin's Clay® - Natural ( I used approx. 100 gr)
Makin's® 
  • Roller & Cutter Set 
  • Texture Sheets Set B - Dots
  • Push Mold - Florals
  • Clay Cutter Set Nr. 36501, I did use sizes 20 mm and 30 mm

Makin's Professional®Ultimate Clay Machine®
For each flower / heart about 7 inch  Wire, Gauge 20. It is an ordinary black wire from the garden center or the hardware store.
Acrylic paint and embossing powder
Driftwood
Pliers 

Instructions: 

I started by making some Hearts. I usually make two balls which I form into a teardrop, by rolling them in the palm of my hands and then open them up to roll just the lower part. This way you get a nice teardrop.








Next, I set both teardrop shapes side by side, and they don't have to be excactly the same size, in fact I like it better when they are slightly different size.
          








Next I "smush" them together, spray lightly with water and smooth out the lower part on both sides.
I know I going texture it, so I'm not too concerned about it, just make sure that they hold together.
Next I prepare a wire about 7 inch long  with a little loop at the top.
        
I poked the wire into the Heart and the next step was to flatten the Heart a bit and at the same time give some structure. I used the texture sheet with the dots on both sides. It is a bit tricky not to effect the already texture side. I simply lift the Heart and hold it while pressing the textures sheet on the other side.


Next I rolled some Natural clay using Makin's Professional® Ultimate Clay Machine® on the
thickest setting, #1, and pressed it into the Florals Push Mold. I did use two different flower molds.


I made two of the same flower for each finished flower.  The molded flowers are bigger than I wanted the finished flowers is bigger, so I just choose the part I liked the most to cut out with the 30mm round Clay Cutter.








Next, I put those two circles together and sandwiched the wire, again with a little loop at the top. That   helps to prevent the wire slipping out. I pinched them together I little bit on the edges, trying to give  some ruffly edge.


I made also some smaller ones with the 20 mm circle cutter and the dots texture sheet. All in all I made 11 Flowers and Hearts. I let them begin to dry and waited until I could handle them without destroying them. (I don't like to wait to until the molded pieces are completely dry.... I want to see if my idea works asap please :)... )

The next step is to add some patina first with some dark brown acrylic paint. I made sure that I got into all these nooks and crevices.  Next, take a baby wipe or a damp cloth and remove most of the paint again. I let the color dry before I went onto to the final colors for the Flowers and Hearts. I gave them just a light wash, I didn't wanted to cover the natural color from the Makin's Clay®.

Not done yet, will the paint was still damp, not to wet,  I poured some embossing powder on. I'm looking for a more distressed look for the heat embossed parts. So where ever the paints are still damp, the embossing powders stick and can be heat set. I did use a gold embossing powder, but that is up to you, whatever you like the best in combination with your acrylic paints.

All my flowers are painted and heat embossed. Of course I had to drill holes into the driftwood.  The wire is rather soft so it bends a little to much, to work harden I hammer it a bit with a hammer and metal base.

         
Now it was time for assembling. I threaded the wire through the holes and on the bottom side I bent  them in a little spiral.

It was still a little too bendy, so I added on the top some additional wire. 
         


I threaded it into the same hole and then wrapped it several times around the bottom of the stem. I made sure that I did hide the other end of the wire somewhere into the middle, so there is nothing poking out. As the last step I pressed everything together with pliers.
      







No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *