Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Friday, May 3, 2019

"Be Afraid of Nothing" Mixed-Media Canvas

"Be Afraid of Nothing" Mixed-Media Canvas by Steph Ackerman
Hi everyone, Steph here today with a new mixed media project.

Supplies:

Makin's Clay® - white
Makin's® Roller and Cutter Set
Makin's ProfessionalⓇ Clay Mat
​ Plaid Coastal Paint
​ Prima Acrylic Paint, Art Stones, Molds
​ The Crafter's Workshop Stencils
Beacon Tacky Glue

Instructions:

​Using a 6" canvas and a small 3" frame, I painted them with black gesso.  Then I used molding paste with several stencils to add dimension.

While waiting for the canvas to dry, I created an assortment of different sizes and styles of wings.  Once the clay was placed in the molds, I used the Roller to force the clay further into the mold so it would pick up all of the details.



I used Plaid's Coastal Paint in Seal Gray to cover the raised portions of the wings.

Once the canvas and frame dried, I used a variety of Prima Metallique Paints to create the background.


​Spritzing the canvas with water allowed the paints to move and blend.  I used a paper towel to absorb excess water.
Using Beacon Tacky Glue, I glued the frame to the canvas.  I let it sit overnight to be sure I had a good seal.

I painted the wings yellow, then adhered the clay wings and keyhole to the frame.  Then I glued assorted sized art stones along the bottom.
I added more art stones to adorn the corners of the canvas then painted them a coordinating color.  I also added several small clay elements along the sides of the canvas.


​​Realizing I wanted to add a charm in the open space, I  threaded some beaded chain through the keyhole and added the charm.  I added a dab of glue to keep the charm in place.


The charm reads:  "I want to be improbable and afraid of nothing as if I had wings."  This is how I felt when creating this canvas.  I wasn't afraid to explore my creativity.

​ Thanks for stopping by.

Steph





1 comment:

Pat Krauchune said...

Very colorful,creative mixed media canvas!

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *