Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Driftwood Fairy


Driftwood Fairy by Bea Grob
Today I'm here with a new driftwood fairy. I love everything with wings, and so fairies are included. Not sure if they really exist, but I like the idea anyway....

Materials:

Makin's Clay® - Natural, Red
Makin's®  Clay Tool Set
Makin's Professional® - Ultimate Clay Machine®
Metal leaf any color you like. I used a variegated one
Glue for metal leaf
Brown acrylic paint as patina
Die and embossing folder for the wings
Wire from the hardware store
Glue E6000
Driftwood, wire, 2 beads for hands, toothpick to attach head and a stand to put the driftwood on top.

Instructions:

I started with a ball of Makin's Clay® in natural. To form the head and the neck I used a tool from my clay tool set. 

I marked a hairline and then started applying very thin pieces for torn clay to mimic the hair.


A toothpick in her neck will give a connection to the driftwood.

Roll clay beginning on setting #1 of the Ultimate Clay Machine® and then #2, then #3, and ending on setting #4.

Now I had to let dry everything over night, before I diecut and embossed some wings from a bee. (it is a set from Tim Holtz). If you don't have it you could totally just cut by hand some wings. It is really easy with Makin's Clay®, just use a pair of scissors.
I  also shaped a little bird in red, again with the help of a tool from  the tool set. 
 
I also had to prepare my driftwood. I used a power tool for making holes for the head and at the bottom for the stand. For the arms I  used a simple hardware store wire and made holes on both sides. To glue everything into the wood and also the bird on the wire I used E-6000.

To give a little bit more dimension to the head, I used brown acrylic paint. I used a stiff stencil brush to get the paint into the cracks of the hair. Then I let it dry somewhat and used a wet towel to remove the paint again from the top parts. Leaving the paints mostly in the cracks. This is sometimes a back and forth process, means apply paint, wipe it of, apply more paint and so on.

I like to mix and match in all my art, so I added some metal leaf to the wood and the Makin's Clay®. To glue on I prefer gluepaste as it dries faster but any other metal leaf glue works too.

The goal is to have the glue not completely dry, but a little bit tacky, so you can carefully add the leaf. When it has dried you can use a brush to wipe off any excess.



I also added the same brown acrylic paint as patina, and no worries it wipes off easy from the metal leaf.  As you can see I was going for a more aged, grungy look.

When everything was dry, I assembled my fairy. I used E-6000 to add the wings to the back and also to attach the beads and the bird to the wire arms.


Now have fun to make your own fairy.....

No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *