Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Monday, March 25, 2019

Studio Organizer

STUDIO ORGANIZER by Bea Grob

 Welcome back to another fun project with this versatile Makin's Clay®.  I love studio organization and one thing I think is really helpful is a Lazy Susan. Luckily there is a wooden one at IKEA which it isn't to expensive. And because it is made from wood you can shape it into the size you want to accommodate to your space. Or leave as is and add more tins.

Supplies:

Lazy Susan
Gesso and brush
Old bookpages
Mod Podge and brush
Makin's Clay® in green and red, approx. 60 g of each color
Makin's Clay®, Floral Push Mold SKU: 39005
Gold embossing powder and a brush
Craft Heat Gun
Brown acrylic paint and brush, rather a stiff one to get into the notches and crannies.
Wet wipes 

Instructions:

I started layering the empty tins and then cut them back (with a saw) so accommodate the size.
Some of the tins where already white inside, the others I painted with some gesso.

For the outside I covered them up with pieces from bookpages with the help of some Mod Podge.

With the help of a glue gun I attached them to the cut back lazy Susan.

 
I started adding some green clay to the bottom of the tins all around. With the help of of the basic clay tool set I managed to get the clay in between the tins also.

I had to make sure that the clay stays wet until my next step, so I sprayed some water before adding more clay around the base.


Once I had all the green clay around the base I could start with making flowers with the red clay. I used the Floral push mold  and used mostly the roses.

I also used the flourishes with the red clay. What I like about those push molds is that you can check on the backside if you have clay in all the parts and also that you don't have clay, where you don't want it.

I removed all the roses and flourishes while they were still wet, means right after I have them formed properly. This helps that they stick without any glue to most surfaces and also to the clay itself. Of course you have to be a little careful when you pull them out. 

Again with of one the  basic clay tools, I placed it carefully in the corners.



Did you know that you can fill the molds just partially? Just check from the backside and fill in as much or as little as you want.

Voilà here you have a little rosebud from the push mold just partially filled.


Now that I have arranged quite a bunch of roses around the base, it is time to add some gold embossing powder. But first I sprayed again with some water and waited about 1 minute or so before I dipped a soft brush into the embossing powder and then dabbed it onto everywhere I liked it.

I had quite a bit in places where it didn't stick, which is ok. I knew when I start using the heatgun it s going to be blown away.

Next I went in with the heatgun. Make sure that you don't get to close, about 5 inches is the closest. And also move around frequently. While you are melting the embossing powder you also going to dry the clay out a bit (at least it forms a sort of a dry skin), which is helpful for our final step.



Now we need to dilute some brown paint as we want to use it as a patina all over. This means we paint onto the tin, the bottom and the flowers.

This step is a little bit a back and forth. We apply the thinned paint and wipe it of with a wet towel until we are happy with the result.

 





2 comments:

Pat Krauchune said...

Great solution to storage!

Nancy said...

Great project! Thanks for all the wonderful tips too! :o)

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *