Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Friday, June 10, 2016

Stars & Stripes by Patricia Krauchune



STARS & STRIPES

Living in Liberty House, I am very fond of all things patriotic. Here's my Makin's Clay® "flagpole", my interpretation of stars and stripes forever.

Supply List:

Makin's Clay® Red / White / Blue
Metal Tape

Statue of Liberty Mold
Small brass rod

Large paint stirring stick
Adirondack® Alcohol Ink Pitch Black

1 1/4" Smoothfoam Ball
Gold Cordage

Krylon 18K Gold Leafing Pen
2 Gold Tassels

Beacon™ 3-in-1 Adhesive
Green/Gray/Red/Blue/Silver/Gold Acrylic paint


Recommended Makin’s® Tools:
Makin's® Texture Sheets: Stripes, Stars (Set B and Set D)

Instructions:

I had a small silicone mold I made from one of my Statue of Liberty figurines.  Push some white Makin's Clay® into the mold and allow to dry overnight.


Unmold when dry, trim away excess clay and paint green and gray.  I used a Krylon 18K Gold Leafing Pen on the torch tip.



Next roll out red, white and blue clay using the Makin's Professional® Ultimate Clay Machine® on the # 1 setting.








The Makin's® Clay Cutter, large stars set, has three sizes...start with the largest and cut out a red star, then a medium star from the white clay and the smallest will be cut from the blue clay.  With the Makin's® Texture sheet, Stars, impress into the white clay.

Now use the Makin's® Texture sheet Stripes and impress the red and blue stars.  Cut out a small square, 3/4", in the center of the blue star.


Cut the handle off a paint stirring stick.  Use metal tape to cover the stick.


 I wanted a steampunk kind of look to the flagpole so I scored some segments on the staff. I then used the pitch black Adirondack® Alcohol Ink to "antique" the  texture I had embossed.

Cut a 1 1/4" Smoothfoam ball in half then coat with the Krylon 18K Gold Leafing Pen.

Attach the "ball" to the top of the flag pole using the small brass rod.






 I used the Krylon 18K Gold Leafing Pen to outline each star.
At this point I used the Beacon's™ 3 in 1 Adhesive to glue the Statue of Liberty to the red star.











I painted the star impressions red, blue, silver and gold. The blue star has the cut out section.


Now glue the stars in place with the Beacon's™ 3 in 1 Adhesive. I had a small red glass star bead and I glued that in the center of the blue star.

I got some gold cordage from Joann's Fabric and weaved it around the stars and added the tassels to the bottom. So here you are, stars and stripes forever!  God bless America.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Never thought to use a gold leafing pen on the clay. Great job, Patricia!

Unknown said...

Very cool! Great job. I would by this🤔

Steph Ackerman said...

This is awesome.

Donna said...

Great project! Thanks for sharing!

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *