Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2016

Catherine's Purple Canes & Seashells Jewelry by Erin Reed


Catherine's Purple Canes & Seashells Jewelry
Designed by Erin Reed


My daughter has been bugging me to play with my "playdoh" again - aka Makin's Clay®, mostly so she could play too (she loves to play with the tools and Makin's Clay® is non-toxic and hypoallergenic so it's safe for all ages).  So when we pulled it all out I asked her what should we make, and her response was a bracelet. Well,  I had to make a necklace to go with it.

So since I got my package of Makin's Clay®, I've had this itch to try to make canes, they look so cool.  But, with air dry clay, and how soft it is, it can be a bit of a challenge - but I was up to the challenge! 

Materials: 

Makin's Clay® - White 
Makin's® Sea Shells Push Mold
Makin's® Clay Tools
Makin's Professional® Cutting Mat 
Piercer tool 
Acrylic paint - light blue, light purple, bright blue  
Stretch cord, hemp
Coordinating beads 









Cane and Bead Creation

1) Color your clay to your choice with paint - I picked blues, purple, and white (daughter's choices.)  Simply mix the paint into the clay until the clay returns to it's original consistency.  I made two shades blue and two shades of purple.  Roll into tubes - about 2 of each color.  Cut in half and start sticking them together in a tube shape to make the cane.  Cover the outside with a thin sheet of rolled out clay - I used purple.





2) Let cane set for about 1 hour to begin to harden/dry, it is too soft to cut at this point.  After the hour, go down the length of the cane while it is it still a bit soft and use a piercer to place a hole for the string to go through to make your bead.

3) Using the leftover clay make seashell shapes using the push mold, some solid colors some blended colors of what is left over.  Also use the piercer to push a hole to make these into beads.
 

4) After letting the cane dry for another hour, cut into beads.  Now apply a clear coat to make the beads shiny, I used Tattered Angels Glimmer Glaze in Icicle.


We think Catherine's adorable in her fashionable Makin's Clay® jewelry! 
In the video below you will see how I made the clay canes and also how I turned them into beads along with some seashell beads to make it all about the beach and summer.

https://youtu.be/cGQlzuQepRo

5) Let all beads harden for a least a day.  Lightly sand the flat sides to remove any rough edges from where you cut them, and then string them on to stretchy string for the bracelets and hemp for a necklace.

Here is the full video and some tips and trick to string the beads to make the jewelry.

https://youtu.be/Xu-QZBR1ex8

5 comments:

Krauchune said...

Very nice Erin!

Unknown said...

Great job. The set is so cute.

Unknown said...

Good job, Erin. Videos are really helpful.

Steph Ackerman said...

Great project Erin.

Meme said...

Fun project and she is so happy!

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *