Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Colorful Glittering Snowflakes Ornament by Irit Shalom


Colorful Glittering Snowflakes Ornament
Designed by Irit Shalom 

Hello my dear crafty friends and welcome to my new Makin's Clay® tutorial.
As this month we make Holidays projects, I decided to make an ornament. But then I decided that I want it full of glitter and in non traditional colors.  So pink, blue and golden yellow colors were the   colors I picked for this project.  Another thing I tried to do in this tutorial was to find a few ways to add glitters to Makin's Clay® and to see the ways that I like while working with glitter inside or over the clay.

Materials:

Round Plastic Ornament
Makin's Clay® - Yellow 120g, White 120g
                          - Ultimate Clay Extruder™
                          - Ultimate Clay Machine™
                          - Christmas Nature Push Mold
Die cutting machine, snowflake dies
Beacon® 3-in-1 Adhesive
Ranger® Glossy Accents
Glitter - gold, red, blue
Scissors

Instructions:

1.  The first way to add glitter to Makin's Clay® is to cover the fresh clay with some glazing medium and just to sprinkle the glitter over it. After the glitter is dry, you can see the sparkling clay.

I covered the $1 plastic tree ornament with the wide circled yellow clay extruded with Makin's Professional™  Ultimate Clay  Extruder™, using round disc #       .  I took a whole 120g package of the  yellow clay to make the cover of the 1/3 top and 1/3 bottom as I used the very thick extrusions, but if you want to cover it all, use the smaller circled disc and it will cover the whole ball.



Next, I covered the ball with Ranger Glossy Accents and added a generous amount of golden glitter, and let it dry for a few hours.

2. While waiting for the ball to dry you can make your embellishments.

The pink embellishments were made with Makin's Clay®  and show another way to add glitter to Makin's Clay®.  I used
white clay and mixed it generously with red glitter.  I used the Makin's Professional™ Ultimate Clay Machine to mix the clay with the glitter.  The result is not very glittery after all, but the color is pretty and looks like some kind of pink marble.


The mixed clay was pushed into the Christmas Nature push mold and  I trimmed the edges when it was totally dry.  As it wasn't as sparkling as I had hoped,  I added a bit of blue glitter over the dry pieces.

4. While waiting for the pink shapes to dry, I experimented with another way of adding glitter to Makin's Clay®.


I made the thin sheets of white clay using the Makin's Professional® Ultimate Clay Machine™ on setting #5 and covered the fresh pieces with blue glitter.  If your glitter does not stick to the fresh clay as you want, you can spread a small amount of clear drying adhesive over the fresh clay and then add the glitter.

5. Once dry, the thin sheets were then die cut with a snowflakes die. The dies I used were the thin  style of dies and I had some difficulty cutting the clay rolled to the #5 setting well, so I did do some trimming afterwards with scissors.  The best dies for cutting dry clay sheets are the original style of dies such as the Sizzix Originals, Bigz, etc.

6. Now I arranged the molded and die cut pieces over the dry golden ornament using Beacon's 3-in-1 Adhesive and you can see this beauty from 3 sides as there are a lot of  clay shapes over the ball.

 

And this is how it looks from the top.


All you need is just to hang it on your Christmas tree!



No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *