Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Mixed-Media Art Dolls


Mixed-Media Art Dolls by Bea Grob
Create your own wonderful, whimsical charakter an make your own studio spirit or alter ego.
Use Makin's Clay® as the basis for this project and combine with beads, paints, fibre and more.

Supply List

Makin's Clay®  - about 2 oz in the desired color
Makin's® 
  • Texture Sheet Set H
  • Clay Tools

Makin's Professional® 
  • Ultimate Clay Machine®
  • Cutting Mat 

Assortement of beads for the arms and fibres for the skirt, beadcap for the head, metal parts or soda can die cuts for wings.
20 gauge wire , I used black steel wire from the home improvement store
2 square chopsticks
E6000  for permanent bond and some 
Hot glue for immediate hold
Tape
Decorator foil 
Pan Pastels 
Craft knife
Face mold
Scissors, pliers, drill

Instructions:

I started with some black and rolled it out on the the second thickest setting of the Ultimate Clay Machine®. The height of the body is roughly 4 inches, so I made sure that I could fit it in two times on the rolled out clay.

I added the foil and burnished it with the help of an old plastic card and then ripped foil off. (Sidenote: not all foils work equally well, if you are missing spots, just reapply it and try again. Sometimes I even heat it up carefully with a heat gun and try again.)

Next, I used a texture make an impression. As you can see I don't mind the spots where there is no foil. It just adds to the character.



I actually removed more of the foil with some clear tape, by pressing the tape onto the foil and then pulling back to reveal the clay underneath. Again sometimes you have to repeat that step.

I applied Pan Pastels to the areas where there is no foil. I do use both the matt ones and the shiny ones, simply by rubbing it on with my fingers. When I'm done I wipe loose  powder from the foil with a baby wipe.
     
 

Now it is time to cut out the two parts with a craft knife. I like to work on the Makin's Professional® Cutting Mat which has conveniently two sides. A self-healing side and a rolling (non-stick) side.

I made a face for my doll with a flexible face mold. I made sure that  I didn't fill it at first hand, as I wanted to add the wire and then add a bit more on top. The wire was approx. 15 inch and then folded together. I also pressed in the beadcap, to give me a guide when I'm gluing everything together.
          



Next, I had to prepare the legs, I used 2 chopsticks. It is much easier if they are square at the top. The round ones don't work so well. I taped them together with painter's tape and then drilled a hole through both at the same time. Depending on the length of the chopsticks you have to shorten them also.
    
In the meantime the body and the head are beginning to cure/dry.

About 1 inch from the head, make a bend in the wire on both sides.
         
Take the doll's head and thread the wire as shown in the picture.


I wrapped the arm wires around the chopsticks and reinforced the neck with an additional piece of wire. I start from the chopsticks and wrap around as tidy or messy I like.

I pressed the wire together on the places that are going to be covered by the body with a heavy plier.


I also punched 5 holes on each side, and made a hole at the back side for the wings.  I glued everything together using E6000, but also a little bit of hot glue for immediate bond.

For the head I used the beadcap and some other embellishments from my stash. For the wings I used some die cuts from an empty soda can. I used a brad, but I did also glue it with E 6000.
          
For the skirt you can use all kind of fancy yarns, ribbons or fabric strips as long as you can thread them through your holes. I cut mine about 11 inches long and then folded it together and thread them through the holes.
          

The final step is to add beads for the arms. I tried several version, what will you come up with?


Bea recently taught this creative workshop at Artworks and it looks like her students had a great time.  We think they created some amazing dolls too! 





 


No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *