Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Stamped Pumpkins Burlap Canvas



Hi everyone, Steph Ackerman here with another Fall project.  I think Fall is my favorite time of year.  Don't you love the crunching leaves, the falling temperatures, the assorted pumpkins and decorations that are everywhere!!?

Today, I created a fun Fall project and all of my elements have been stamped on Makin's Clay®.  Stamping on clay is fun and so much easier than you think.  Just be sure to use permanent ink.

Supplies:

Makin's® Clay
Makin's Professional® 
Beacon Adhesives  - 3-in-1 Adhesive
Earth Safe Finishes Gesso
Just For Fun Stamps - Pumpkins, Scarecrow, Sign Post, Tree
Molding Paste
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist
Burlap Panel
Stencils

Instructions:

Begin by applying gesso to the burlap panel.  Since I wanted to use spray inks, the gessoed background would allow my colors to really stand out. 

For background dimension, I used several stencils and molding paste. 


While waiting for the panel to dry, I mixed several colors of clays from the Earth Tones collection.  Since pumpkins are a mix of colors, I thought these clay colors would create fun pumpkins.


Next, I ran the mixed clay through the Ultimate Clay Machine™ starting on the highest setting (#1).  I moved down a setting at a time and rolled the clay through each time until I had the desired thickness.


Next, I stamped a pumpkin on the damp clay.  The damp clay takes a stamped image really well and you can push the stamp into the clay for a deeper impression if you desire.  You can stamp on dried clay, but the impression is different.


Look at the stamped image.  It's amazingly clear and perfect.  Just be sure to use permanent ink.  I also stamped the stem on green clay so I could get a more realistic effect.


To create a darker pumpkins, I took the remaining clay and added some brown ink.  I worked the clay until the ink was blended and then placed it in the Ultimate Clay Machine™.  Then I ran it through on several settings until I had a smooth sheet in the thickness I wanted.


I stamped a different pumpkin on this panel.  I reworked the clay in the same manner and then stamped a smaller pumpkin.


Next, I cut around the stamped images and glued the pumpkin handles in place.  While still fresh, clay will adhere to clay, but since I was working on these pumpkins for awhile, I needed to add a little glue.  And these are my pumpkins.  Aren't they amazing?  The darker pumpkins were stamped on the clay to which I added brown ink. 


I created a moon from scraps of clay and used the Roller with a Texture Sheet to create a subtle pattern on the moon.  Then I added a little yellow ink across the design.


I wanted some witches so I rolled black clay into a thin sheet.  Placing the clay between wax paper, I die cut my witches.  The wax paper allowed me to use my thin dies while the clay was fresh without the risk of the clay getting stuck in the die.  You can always wait for the clay to dry and then die cut your images, but I'm not one to wait!!!   


I painted the bricks red then placed the pumpkins and the witches on the panel.  I needed some additional elements so I also stamped a scarecrow, tree trunk and sign post on clay.  Again, I fussy cut these images and mounted them to the canvas with Beacon™ 3-in-1 Adhesive. To add a bit more color I used Smooch Accent Inks selectively on the scarecrow and pumpkins.


The smaller witches were perfect and appear to be flying through the sky.


Finally, I added some ribbon so my panel could hang in my studio.  What do you think of stamping on clay?  I love it.

Thanks for stopping by.

Steph

No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *