Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Monday, January 15, 2018

Under the Sea Tool Holder

Under the Sea Tool Holder by Patricia Roberts-Thompson
For this month’s project I decided to take advantage of one of the best properties of Makin’s Clay®, the No-Bake Polymer Clay®. Since we don’t need to bake it, it is the perfect clay to use on plastic containers. I covered three prescription pill bottles to make a handy Tool Holder for my crafting tools.

Project Materials:

Makin's Clay® - 180g White (1 and 1/2 120g packages)
Makin's® 
  • Push Molds, 39001 Leaves, 39003 Sea Shells
  • Texture Sheet Set H  - Abstract B

Makin's Professional® Ultimate Clay Machine®
Clay roller, clay knife, dotting tool, scissors, rubber shaper
Acrylic paints, optional  - Pan Pastels or chalks, or paste colors such as Inka Gold.
White PVA Glue, superglue, small rhinestones for the eyes of the fish.

Project Instructions:


Use Superglue to adhere 3 pill containers together. I find two tall ones and a shorter one to be the best configuration, but you can do whatever layout you want to meet your needs. Let it dry before proceeding.

When the containers are well glued, brush on some white glue and set the tool holder aside to begin drying. It doesn’t need to be completely dry when you cover it with the clay. While it’s drying, roll out a full package ( 120g ) of white clay with the Ultimate Clay Machine®. Roll your sheet to a number 3 thickness. Then, dust the Abstract B texture sheet with cornstarch and press it onto the clay until you have it all textured. Have a sheet of wax paper under the clay so it doesn’t get stuck. I used the texture sheet vertically, since it reminded me of seaweed. Next, I used Pan Pastels to color my sheet, but later when I antiqued the holder with acrylic paints, the pastels washed off. If you don’t want to add paints later, the pastels are a good option for color. Cover the bottles with the sheet of textured clay.The first sheet covered the two tall bottles, and I made a new sheet with 60g of white Makin’s Clay® to finish the shorter one. Don’t worry if you have to add pieces to fit, you will be adding elements that can cover some irregularities.


I rolled the remaining white clay on a number one thickness of the Ultimate Clay Machine® and tore off bits of it to use in the Leaves Push Mold. I used the two rounded leaves at the bottom right corner. First, remember to dust the push mold with cornstarch each time you mold a piece.  Rather than trim it in the mold, I found it easier to use scissors to cut around the molded piece. Each piece was then brushed with white PVA glue and placed where I wanted. I used shells, starfish and the fish from the Sea Shells Push mold, and glued them where I liked. I added a small rhinestone for the fish’s eye, and I added pastels to color my elements, but again this was optional, you could also use colored clay to make your design.  I used a rubber shaper to add deeper lines, and a dotting tool in places for texture. The last thing I added was long pointed strips of clay rolled very thin, to become the grass-like plants.

When you are happy with your design, let it dry for 24 hours, then you can add more paint if you like.

I did antique my Tool Holder with a mix of blue and black acrylic paints. I always find antiquing pulls all of the elements together, but it’s a choice whether to do it or not. I highlighted the shells, fish, and leaves with various metallic paints and ocean blue acrylics.

I love my new Tool Holder, and as you can see, it’s full already!




 

No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *