Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Quilling/Soutache with Makin's Clay® by Kim Hale



Quilling/Soutache with Makin's Clay®
Designed by Kim Hale 

This month, the Design Team was challenged to choose a technique from our Tutorials & Techniques Pinterest Board and try it with Makin's Clay®.  This project was inspired by this pin.  I must say this was a bit fun making all the curls and finding ways to use them! Once my brain started with the curl theme it kept saying “now try this”. You may find yourself making lots of designs.  The process reminded me very much of Soutache.
Materials:

Makin's Clay® in assorted colors  - projects shown feature Red, White and Plum Wine 
Makin's® Ultimate Clay Extruder™- Disc #11 
Makin's® Ultimate Clay Machine™
Makin's® Hearts Clay Cutter Set 
Makin's® Cutting Mat 
Viva Decor Inka Gold 


Instructions:

Place Red clay into Ultimate Clay Extruder™ and extrude several strands using Disc #11.   Repeat with Plum Wine clay.   If strips begin to curl, realign to straighten.  Tip:  Place a damp paper towel over extruded clay strips to keep them fresh and slow drying while working.


For the heart shaped pendant, I used the largest heart clay cutter as a template and curved the red clay around the outside.  While drying, I created smaller curls for inside the hear, and the bail. I moistened the curled pieces a bit and mounted them inside the heart. I used small curls for earrings. 

For the freeform pendants, I created my designs by gathering strips of extruded clay and attaching them at one end, then created my coils.  I rolled white clay with the Ultimate Clay Machine™ to a setting #2, placed the coiled pendants onto the rolled clay and cut around them to create a contrasting base and add strength to the finished pieces.  I also added some rolled white clay pieces to give the effect of pearls to the design.  
On two of the designs I used Viva Décor “Inka Gold” on to add a little bling. 

I hope you are inspired to get out your extruder and start making swirls. 
   
Kim Hale
Counselor, Artist, Teacher

Change your thoughts, change your life!

1 comment:

Krauchune said...

How cool is it to quill with clay!

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *