Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Gingerbread House Gift Box

Gingerbread House Gift Box by Steph Ackerman

Hi everyone, Steph Ackerman here.  This  month our team was challenged to create a project inspired by a pin from the Makin's Clay® Polymer Clay Inspiration Projects or Tutorials & Techniques boards.  These gingerbread house ornaments inspired me to recreate a gingerbread house with Makin's Clay®, but my box has the added twist of being a small gift box too!

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/501588477234209816/

Supplies:

Makin's Clay® - Brown, White, Green, Red

Makin's® 
Makin's Professional® 
Beacon Adhesives - 3-in1 Adhesive
Spellbinders Dies
Wilton Mold 

Because I wanted a somewhat mottled look, I began by mixing white and brown clay together. 
  
Roll out brown and white clay in the Ultimate Clay Machine® beginning on setting #1 and continue rolling increasing one setting at a time until the clay is as thin as you like it.  Look at the fun effect I achieved with the clay.

Place the clay on the cutting mat, and following the ruled lines, use the clay cutter to create straight edges on the clay panel.


I had a chipboard house I planned to use as the base so I wrapped the clay around it and cut it to fit.  Then I used Beacon Adhesives to adhere the clay around the box.

Using the clay tools, I cut left over clay pieces to fit the roof.


I combined all the left over clay bits together and rolled them through the clay machine on setting #1 and continue rolling increasing one setting at a time until the clay is the desired thickness.

I wanted some roof shingles so I used a scalloped Spellbinders border die.  I placed the clay between two layers of wax paper and then die cut the damp clay.  You can wait until the clay dries before die cutting, but, as you know, I don't like to wait.  The wax paper stops the clay from getting stuck in the die. 
 

I added a separate piece of brown clay to the chimney, then used the clay tools to create the bricks in the still damp clay.  An angel was added to the chimney top.


A gingerbread house is full of lots of different candy pieces, so I used assorted clay cutters and different colors of clay to create elements I wanted to use.  I die cut ovals from white clay to use for the door and cut them in half to use as the windows.  I cut candy canes from red clay, then I used push molds to create the other elements I wanted for the house.

 

Finally, I wanted some gumdrops, flowers and candy strips so I used white clay with a Wilton silicone mold.  I used clay tools to smooth the backs of each element before removing them from the mold.


The fun part is always decorating.  So I added all the elements about the house using Beacon Adhesives.  And who doesn't like to see a wreath over their front door this time of year?


 Now for the surprise - fill it with candy and give it as a gift!


It's always fun making gingerbread houses for the holidays, but why not create one from Makin's Clay® this holiday season.

Thanks for stopping by.

- Steph

No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *