Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Friday, May 13, 2016

Making Doves Cry - Ode to Prince by Carole Monahan


Making Doves Cry
Ode to Prince

Designed By Carole Monahan

Yes I was a child of the 80’s. Prince was HUGE at my prom!  (So was REALLY big hair and lace gloves.) He was so talented and creative and daring!  He will be greatly missed. Here are my crying doves in honor of Prince.

Materials

Makin’s Clay® 2 packs of White clay
Makin’s Professional® Ultimate Clay Machine™
Makin’s Clay® texture sheets the Starts and Scales from set D 38004
Makin’s Clay® water drop cutter set (in this case it is a tear drop)
Makin’s Clay® Cutting mat 
My Favorite - the Makin's Professional® tools to score cut and add sculpting details.
Mica powders to highlight
14 Gauge aluminum Craft wire
Beacons Tackey glue
Heavy weighted base of wood or in this case a repurposed old dive belt weight.
Sharp craft blade
Template for Dove
http://diyreal.com/diy-paper-dove-with-printable-template/

Instructions

Roll out 2 packs of white clay with the Ultimate Clay Machine™.  Start with setting 1 and go to 3.
Then lay out you freshly cut template on the clay.  I used 2 size templates on my piece.


Cut out the template with a sharp craft blade remove the excess clay and leave the template in place
to score the dotted lines with your rounded tip from the professional tools.
I used some of the other tips from the pro tool kit to make accents and tweak the sculpture.
Place the texture sheet of your choice over the clay and rub firmly to add the texture.
*I like to wait a couple of minutes before texturing to ensure the texture sheet will not stick to the clay or you can dust the sheet with a lil’ corn starch.


I used the Star template as well to get the details on the underside of the wings.
*Make sure when you use the star texture sheet the stars leave a indent in the clay to fill later.
I used the water drop cutters (tear drops for me) on the wings of the larger dove.
Use the backside of the cutter to make an impression and not cut.

Now NOT shown in detail this is when you add your accents I used mica powder 2 different colors and glitter for the stars.

For the stars; let the clay dry a little longer 1 hour about then with a toothpick
Put glue JUST in the indentations of the stars and then add the glitter.

Follow the instructions on the template link how to assemble your dove.

I let the doves lay flat and semi dry for about 4 hours before trying to glue together.

Now for the drying and shaping of the doves.
You want the clay dry to the touch and still flexible.

I used a silicone muffin tin upside down to set the doves in the exact position

 I wanted them to fully dry in. I used foil balls to further set the wings in place.

Since Makin’s Clay® is so flexible even after it is fully dry it does give you time to adjust them.

To assemble when fully dried:
I cut about 12-14 inches of 14 Gauge craft wire.
I took the craft wire and wrapped around my repurposed dive weight.
If you are using wood I suggest layers of plywood for the counterweight or
Even a brick painted a pretty color would work.
I looped the top part of the wire to rest inside the length of the dove’s body and I secured it with 
Beacon Tacky Glue.

The longer the wire the higher the weight you will need to balance the birdies when they are flying.

My doves move ever so gently when someone walks by ……. Wooo hoooo COOL!


A close up shot of a dove and the view from above the sculpture.




To see what other mischief and mayhem I have been up too you can visit me here!
Like my pages to keep track of my Curious Clay Creations



3 comments:

Pat Krauchune said...

Fly!

Debbie Bellibone Goodrow said...

Very cool, lovely tribute.

Donna said...

Love this tribute. Prince was from my hometown of Mpls.

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *