Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Seashell Canvas by Steph Ackerman

Seashell Canvas
Designed by Steph Ackerman

Hi everyone, Steph Ackerman here with my June post as a member of the Makin's Clay® Design Team.  This month, we are creating summer themed projects. 

I've created a beach themed canvas this month and  I plan on hanging in my studio to remind me that summer is finally here.

Supplies Used:
Makin's Clay® - Gold, Brown, White
                         - Push Mold - Sea Shells
                         -  Clay Mixing Ruler
Clearsnap® Crafter's Ink by Ann Butler
Embossing Powder by Clear snap
Rubber Dance Art Stamps
Gesso

Shells aren't just one color, they are a combination of colors so I used the Clay Mixing Ruler™ to easily mix some gold with brown clay.  As I wanted to create a number of shells, I placed brown clay in H and gold clay in G.


Next I mixed them together to get the color I wanted.

 


 Once mixed, I used the Push Mold - Sea Shells - to create a variety of shells.


As I was finalizing my shells, I realized I wanted a lighter shell to mix amongst the darker shells, so I pulled out the Mixing Ruler again.  This time, I mixed a larger quantity of white clay in G and a smaller amount of gold clay in E.  I love the new color I was able to achieve!.

It takes about 24 hours for the clay to set, so during this time, feel free to add some additional details, such as mica, paint, etc. to make the shells more realistic.  Also prepare the canvas while you wait.

I used ColorBox Crafter's Ink by Ann Butler in Blueberry and Ocean Breeze to create the background.  By placing  the inks on a craft sheet and mixing them with water I created a fluid consistency which I was able to paint on the canvas.  I used a baby wipe to help blend the colors on the canvas.



I also blended Tangelo and Sunshine Crafter's Ink and painted it on the canvas to create a sunset.



Next, I spread some gesso around the bottom of the canvas and placed some mesh on top.  The gesso acted as an adhesive and gives the appearance of foam about the canvas.



I added some brown ink on the mesh, then placed the sea shells on top.  Look at the variety of shells I made.  I even added mica powder to several shells.  This changed their color somewhat and gave off a nice, sparkly appearance.  Since the clay shells were still flexible, I was able to mold them to fit my project. 


This wonderful stamp is from Rubber Dance Art Stamps and was the perfect sentiment for this canvas.  To keep the colors in line, I used Blueberry and Ocean Breeze Crafter's Ink again.


 Then I embossed the sentiment and matted it with kraft cardstock and adhered it to the canvas.


In keeping with the beach theme, I tied some rope to use as the hanger.

What do you think?  Do you get that beach feeling?  Makin's Clay® made this canvas so much fun and if you look long enough, you'd swear you were at the beach!

Thanks for stopping by today. 

Steph



No comments:

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *