Pages - Menu

Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2016

Seashore Wreath by Carole Monahan


Seashore Wreath
Designed by Carole Monahan

This is a fun and easy summertime project you can do with the kids before they head back to school.

Materials:

120g pack of White Makin's Clay®
Pan Pastels
Wreath of your choice about 12”wide
2 rolls of tulle 2 different colors taupe and blue/grey 8”wide
Swarovski flat back Crystals
Beacon Quick Grip glue
Sea Urchin spines
Printed media a seahorse and a starfish
Scissors
Screen for texture

Tools
Makin's Clay® Professional Clay Tools
Makin's Clay® Seashell Push mold
Makin’s Clay cutting mat


Instructions:

1. Make a 6” wide round mound of white clay.
Trim your printed starfish and seahorse.

2.  Lay the starfish over the mound of white clay and


Do the same thing with your Seahorse as well. Roll the seahorse flatter.

3.  Remove stencil and trim with the plain cutting wheel from the pro tools kit.
Shape the rough edges.

4.  Add texture. I use this very flexible wire mesh screen that I have been hoarding on my texture pile.

You can also use the texture sheets you would just have to roll out a thin sheet enough to cover the project and texture it while it is flat and then lay it on the sculpted piece

5.  To add more details I used my Makin’s Professional® Ultimate Clay Extruder™ Disc # 18 to add the top ridge detail.


6. To highlight all the details and textures I lightly brushed on some Pan Pastels in some of my favorite colors.


7. Press a small amount of clay into the Makin’s Clay® Seashell molds.
It is very easy to see if you have the mold filled in properly since they are clear.
You can always trim up any excess from the back after the clay has dried.  You can also easily remove your molded pieces from the mold when the clay is fresh or dry, as the molds are flexible.  When dry, color with the pastels.

8. I wrapped the 2 colors of 8” wide tulle around a grape vine wreath that I already had.
It is ALWAYS good to upcycle!  Never toss a wreath just because the details on it got a little sun faded.

9. After everything is cured about 24 hours, it's time to add your sparkle glue of your flat back crystals.  You can arrange them on your wreath however you choose. 
(Live and learn... the 1st wreath I made was HUGE and the items seemed lost on it - 
So maybe make the items 1st and bring them with you when you pick out your wreath!) 

10. I used Beacon Quick Grip glue since it is water and weather proof.   My front door gets HOT!
Then you can proudly hang your wreath anywhere!


I have mine on my front door but after I took a photo of it hanging there I realized I REALLY have to
repaint my front door! Lol!

If you would like to keep up with all my other projects you can like and follow me here.

Facebook:



Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *